Construction house leader
Habitat for Humanity of Huron Valley is a dynamic, progressive nonprofit organization that works to provide affordable home ownership opportunities for low-income families in Washtenaw County.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, mission-driven House Leader to join our team. The House Leader will report to the Construction Manager and will be a part of our Construction team.
Position Term & Schedule
The House Leader is a full-time, hourly non-exempt position starting immediately. The position will be in the field, where HHHV’s primary construction activities located in Ypsilanti, MI. The normal work schedule is Tuesday – Saturday from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm with some evenings and Sundays required. HHHV offers a competitive hourly rate commensurate with experience. After an Employee’s initial introductory period, HHHV also offers, a health insurance plan, contributions to a Health Savings Account, 401(k) plan with employer match, and a generous paid time off schedule.
· Supervise overall construction activity (including paid contractors) on multiple sites and necessary construction leadership.
· Under the direction of the Construction Manager coordinate crew leaders and volunteer groups.
· Work closely with Construction Manager to ensure materials and volunteer supplies are provided in a timely manner to job sites. Supervise all site preparation for assigned properties.
· Work closely with entire construction team to ensure overall affiliate construction goals are met and a team atmosphere is maintained at all times.
· Supervise job sites on each designated workday.
· Understand elements that contribute to a positive volunteer experience - motivating them to return.
· Anticipate problems and issues typical of this work and act to ensure schedules are met.
· Evaluate and implement good safety practices and constantly stress same with crew leaders and volunteers.
· Ensure that communications to project manager, team members and volunteers are accurate and timely.
· Identify potential volunteer opportunities and communicates to Construction Manager.
· Suggest potential advantageous building practices and material cost saving opportunities to construction team.
· Explore new gift-in-kind opportunities.
· Meet long and short term goals established with the Construction Manager and Housing Director.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Five years successful construction management in a relevant organization, preferably a Habitat experience.
· Considerable knowledge and experience in the construction/contracting business.
· Construction management experience preferred.
· Team building experience preferred.
· Ability to manage multiple projects at once.
· Must be a good listener and be able to engage in well-considered discussions.
· Must have good anticipatory abilities and personally act on same as needs arise.
· Must be willing to understand the big picture of Habitat and understand that construction is one part of the larger goal.
· Must seek and provide feedback in constructive manner.
Physical Abilities In accordance with the American Disabilities ACT (ADA):
This position requires the physical ability to:
Sit, walk, and/or stand for prolonged periods of time.
Use all senses, including but not limited to sight and hearing.
Stand, stoop, bend, grasp and/or hold in order to complete job duties.
Work in non-temperature controlled conditions and out-of-doors.
Safely lift at least 25 lbs. on a regular and frequent basis.
Email resume and cover letter to Al Lindsay, Construction Manager, at email@example.com by Friday, August 30, 2019. Candidates should save resume and cover letter as follows: LastName_FirstName. No phone calls, please.
Habitat for Humanity of Huron Valley provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, weight, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.