Furnace Test & Tune Program
You may qualify for a free tune-up of your furnace and free installation of energy saving measures. If your furnace is unsafe or un-repairable, you may qualify for a replacement furnace at a significantly reduced cost.
- We serve greater Washtenaw County, Michigan.
- You must be a homeowner in an owner-occupied, detached, single family home. Rental units are not eligible. Multiple-residence structures, including condominiums, are not eligible.
- You must be a DTE residential gas and electric customer, and submit a copy of your most recent DTE bill.
- You must not have had a furnace tune-up through a DTE program within the previous two years.
- Boilers are not eligible.
- Your annual household pre-tax income must be no more than the maximum in the chart below for your family size, or you must participate in one of the following Michigan, federal, or nonprofit low-income programs: LIHEAP, FAP, SSI, SER, AFDC, TANF, WAP, THAW, or WIC.
|Maximum Annual Income||$47,600||$54,000||$61,200||$68,200||$74,450||$78,900||$84,350||$89,800|
If You Qualify
Following verification of eligibility, Habitat will have an approved HVAC contractor schedule a tune-up of your furnace. The furnace tune-up service will include, at a minimum, tasks such as the following:
- Clean burners, combustion chamber, and heat exchanger surface when accessible.
- Clean and inspect burner orifices and ignition system.
- Check for proper venting and for adequate combustion air (per code).
- Check and test safety controls.
- Inspect filter, replace standard 1” and 2” filters, and/or clean washable filters.
- Run equipment through complete sequence of operation.
Additional energy saving measures to be installed
Along with the furnace tune-up, you may be eligible for installation of these energy saving measures, provided free of charge by Habitat:
- Low-flow water saving measures – kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators of 1.0 gpm (gallons per minute) and a 1.5 gpm shower head.
- A programmable thermostat
- Up to 20 LED light bulbs (must replace incandescent bulbs)
Pending appropriate analysis by the HVAC contractor, limited repairs exceeding the scope of a normal diagnostic tune-up may be eligible.
- If, during the test and tune-up, your furnace is determined unsafe or un-repairable, Habitat and its contractor may (at its discretion) provide the option to replace the furnace. If the water heater is also deemed unsafe or in need of upgrading, Habitat and its contractor may (at its discretion) provide the option to also replace the water heater.
- If only a replacement is recommended, the homeowner will agree to monthly payments to Habitat for Humanity of Huron Valley as follows:
- Furnace only- $40/month, 0% interest over four years ($1,920)
- Furnace & water heater- $60/month, 0% interest over four years ($2,880)
- Water heater only- $40/month, 0% interest over two years ($960)
- If a replacement is recommended, the homeowner will agree to complete 8 volunteer hours in approved Habitat activities.
- If you are unable or unwilling to provide the necessary documentation, Habitat, at its discretion, may replace the furnace, and you will be responsible for repaying the full replacement cost instead of the discounted price.
Additional Requirements & Disclaimers
At its discretion, Habitat may require additional information from the homeowner regarding income and household details. Habitat and its contractors have the sole discretion as to the extent of the work possible under this program.
Quantities are limited. First-come, first-served. Program may end at any time.